Fixed Bridges near Phoenix, AZ
Consequences of missing teeth include esthetic and oral health problems that may impact your quality of life. By providing dental fixed bridges in Peoria, AZ, our dentists quickly and affordably replace missing molars, front teeth or bicuspids without extensive dental treatments. Large gaps between teeth often allow surrounding teeth to “drift” from their proper position in your mouth, resulting in crooked, crowded or sideways sitting teeth. In addition, speech may be altered if missing teeth are located near or at the front of the mouth.
Dental bridges are permanent fixtures containing natural-looking teeth that are held in place by your adjoining teeth. Most patients are good candidates for the conventional fixed dental bridge, or a bridge involving minor modifications of teeth existing on either side of the empty socket. However, the teeth used to support the bridge need to be healthy and firmly implanted in equally healthy gums. A dentist experienced with fixed bridges in Peoria, AZ will perform a thorough dental examination prior to recommending a bridge type addressing your unique needs.
When back molars are missing, your dentist may install a cantilever bridge that needs only need one tooth to which the bridge is permanently affixed. Missing front teeth are sometimes replaced with “Maryland” or resin-bonded bridges that demand minimal modification of existing teeth. Maryland bridges depend on resin material to hold the bridge in place since front teeth are not placed under the level of chewing stress to which molars are subjected.
A bridge is similar to a crown in that it restores missing tooth structure. The major difference is that a bridge restores one or more missing or damaged teeth between existing teeth. There are several types of dental bridges and the dentist is prepared to discuss the best option to fit your individual needs.
- The most popular type of bridge is the traditional bridge, which is constructed from a metal base that has porcelain layered on top of it to give it a natural tooth look.
- This type of bridge consists of two crowns that are supported by teeth and are on both sides of a missing tooth. An artificial tooth is attached to the anchor teeth creating a bridge. Filling the gap can be done by one or more teeth.
Reasons your dentist may recommend getting dental fixed bridges in Preoria include:
- To maintain shape and function of the dental arch.
- To prevent drifting of the remaining teeth.
- To restore your chewing and speaking ability.
- To fill the space of missing teeth and even an upgrade from a removable partial denture to a fixed appliance.
Treatment for a fixed bridge will require two or more visits.
- At your first visit the dentist will take impressions that will be sent to the lab for constriction of your dental fixed bridges. At this same appointment the dentist will numb the teeth and prepare them for the bridge framework. Before you leave the office you will be fitted with a temporary bridge until your next appointment.
- Once your final bridgework is complete from the laboratory you will return to our Glendale, AZ office for your second visit. At this visit your dentist will try-in this final bridge. If no adjustments are necessary then it will be permanently cemented in place.
After receiving dental bridges, Glendale, AZ patients receive home care instructions for how to best care for their new dental work. Remember regular dental visits combined with good eating habits and oral hygiene help lengthen the life of your bridge.