Tooth whitening is a dental treatment used to change the color of the natural tooth. Having whiter teeth has now become the number one aesthetic concern faced by the majority of our patients in Glendale, AZ and Peoria, AZ. As a result of this trend, there are a number of ways to whiten teeth. The most widely used form of whitening is the at-home whitening kit. There are also a number of products that are primarily used in the dental office for quicker results.
Tooth whitening is NOT permanent!
While the initial results of tooth bleaching show a dramatic difference, periodic touch-ups at home or during a tooth-whitening session may be required, especially if you smoke or drink coffee, colas, tea or wine.
Reasons for whitening teeth:
- Reversing the effects of eating and drinking stain-causing foods
- Removing stains caused by prescription drug treatment (tetracycline, etc.).
- Erasing spots caused by fluorosis, the effect of excessive fluoride intake during tooth development
What is involved in tooth whitening?
When undergoing tooth bleaching, Glendale, AZ patients typically make two visits to the dentist.
- During the first visit, impressions are taken of the teeth and a custom tray is constructed.
- During the second visit, the patient tries on the tooth whitening tray to check the fit and adjustments are made if necessary.
- While at home, the patient wears the tray for a set amount of time each day. The specific directions are determined by the manufacturer’s recommendations for daily use.
- Some patients may experience tooth sensitivity, but this usually subsides once the tooth bleaching has stopped.
The dentist will give you home care instructions for the trays, and will also provide additional advice on how to maintain your teeth’s whiteness, including oral hygiene and changes in eating habits. Regular dental checkups are another helpful way to brighten your teeth both before and after a professional teeth whitening.
For a great deal on teeth whitening in Phoenix and the surrounding areas make sure to check out our dental coupons!