Root Canal Therapy near Phoenix, AZ
Root canals can help save a tooth with a severely infected pulp and prevent the infection from causing painful abscesses. Your root canal Phoenix, AZ dentist provides advanced root canals for patients with damaged teeth by incorporating cutting-edge endodontic procedures for minimizing discomfort and facilitating the procedure.
Signs and symptoms of a dental infection that may require a root canal include toothache, darkening of the tooth, swelling around the tooth and increased sensitivity to hot and cold foods. Unless your root canal dentist in Phoenix, AZ, can initiate treatment as soon as possible, a pulp infection could lead to tooth loss and the need for more extensive dental procedures.
To begin a root canal procedure, the dentist will numb the tooth and surrounding area with a powerful anesthetic injected directly into the gums. Patients will not feel any pain during the procedure but may sense pressure while the dentist cleans and packs the tooth. Initially, an "access cavity" is created using a dental drill. This cavity is a small hole extending from the dental enamel into the pulp chamber, or inner part of the tooth where the infection exists. During the access cavity stage of a root canal, the dentist will also remove decayed portions of the tooth before disinfecting and shaping the root canals and pulp chamber
a tooth that is infected, damaged, or decayed, root canal therapy may
be the best form of treatment. Root canals are used to save your
natural tooth by removing the pulp, nerves, and any bacteria. The space
left behind is filled with medicated dental materials that restore the
function of the tooth.
The alternative to Extraction:
- Root canal therapy in Phoenix, AZ is highly successful. Many patients believe that the only option for a severely decayed tooth is to remove it.
- The indications for tooth root canal treatment include: sensitivity to hot and cold, severe tooth pain, swelling or tenderness, abscess on the gums, or there may be no symptoms present.
- Reasons for root canal may also include injury or trauma, decay that has reached the pulp, and infection within the tooth.
Root canal therapy will involve more than one appointment
- Our dentist in Glendale, AZ may perform the root canal therapy or you may be referred to a specialist for very difficult cases.
- At your first visit our root canal dentist will numb the tooth and isolate it using a rubber dam. This keeps the tooth dry from saliva and blood. Once isolated the dentist creates an access to the inside of the tooth, and all of the infected pulp tissue is removed. Once cleaned, the tooth is sealed from further infection by a permanent filling. In some cases it is necessary to place a crown following root canal therapy. This may take several appointments.
Following each visit with our root canal dentists, Glendale, AZ patients will receive home care instructions for how to care for the tooth that has had root canal treatment. Remember regular dental visits combined with good eating habits and oral hygiene help lengthen the life of the root canal. Following treatment the tooth maybe sensitive. This sensitivity will subside with time and as the inflammation diminishes.
If you are suffering toothaches and gum pain, schedule an examination appointment today by contacting AZ Family Dental at 623-777-2037